August 24, 2019

Moving

From this fall, I will be moving to Princeton University. My initial plan was to work remotely with my advisor, who is joining the Department of Sociology at Princeton from this fall, while completing a PhD at UW-Madison. It turns out, however, that the other option was approved by the graduate school recently. Although this was a tough choice, I have decided to continue closely working with him while pursuing a PhD in Sociology at Princeton.

This decision was not easy, because I have met with wonderful friends, colleagues, and mentors in Madison. Cohort friends were always supportive and it was fortunate that our diverse backgrounds provided me with ways to improve our understanding of social issues from a different perspective. Although still incomplete, I am aiming to incorporate their broader perspectives into population approach and demographic methods, which I studied intensively in my first year.

In particular, I really appreciate that graduate students affiliated with CDE often provided critical comments on the presentations at Demsem and the two graduate seminars in population and society. I believe that this intellectual experience shapes my research questions over the academic career.

Also, I would like to thank departmental and student organizations - SGSA (and its sub-committees), Solidarity, TAA, BGPSA - for their continuous efforts to make our community better and more inclusive. There is no doubt that students' active involvement with these institutional forces is the tradition of the UW-Madison Sociology and I am proud of being a part of them last year.

Although sad to leave Madison and miss friends there, I'm pretty sure I'll be back several times every year (except for the winter). At the same time, I'm excited for this opportunity and happy to meet with my new and old colleagues in the East Coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment